Council has reviewed its Community Engagement Framework that guides how, what, when, where and why we will engage with the community. The Community Engagement Framework includes a Community Engagement Policy and a Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan. It is also supported by an internal toolkit for use by staff.
The 2021-2025 Draft Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan has been developed in preparation for the new term of Council and Integrated Planning and Reporting activities for the 2022/23 – 2024/25 period. This strategy also considers the interim 2021-22 Operational Year, due the postponement of elections to September 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Council is committed to undertaking meaningful engagement with community and stakeholders and understands that effective community engagement requires an informed and representative group of participants, time for deliberation, and consensus on recommendations on the decision or project.
Council's Community Engagement Strategy details this approach including the guiding values and principles for engagement; levels of engagement which are aligned with the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) Spectrum; and the methods of engagement including an action plan for that term of Council.
The Community Engagement Strategy also outlines how the community and stakeholders will be engaged on land use planning and development control matters, including detailing exhibition and notification periods for strategic planning.
Council has endorsed the Strategy and Action Plan for public exhibition with the community now invited to have their say on the contents of plan. To view the plans and have your say visit www.yoursay.parkes.nsw.gov.au
Alternatively, you can view hard copies of the documents at Council's Administration Centre or Libraries and submit your comments in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: The General Manager, Parkes Shire Council, PO Box 337, Parkes NSW 2870.
The public exhibition period will conclude close of business Friday 16 April 2021.
A Community Engagement Road Map for 2021-22 has also been compiled to help highlight the community engagement opportunities in the lead up to the Local Government Elections on the 4 September 2021 and the subsequent planning activities for the next term of Council.
A range of methods will be used to engage with our community over the next year with the Your Say Parkes platform a key online source of information and engagement interactions with our community.
The key milestones for engagements over the next 12 months include:
- March 2021: Community Engagement Strategy and Action Plan on exhibition
- April 2021: Community Satisfaction Survey - conducted by Micromex via telephone survey to benchmark satisfaction with council services and what services/programs are most important to our community.
- April - May 2021: 2021/22 Operation Plan and Budget on Exhibition
- May 2021: Prospective Councillor Program - awareness and education program for prospective councillors
- May - August 2021: Intensive community consultation to confirm the community's vision and future directions for the Community Strategic Plan (CSP) 2035 and priorities for Council's 2022/23-2024/25 Delivery Plan.
- 4 September 2021: Local Government Elections
- September - November 2021: Induction of new Council, CSP and Delivery Planning Workshops
- Feb - March 2022: Community consultation to review the elements of the Draft Parkes Shire CSP and 2022/23-2024/25 Delivery Plan.
- April - May 2022: CSP and Delivery Plan Suite endorsed by Council and open to public for final comments.
Further dates and information will be provided to the community as details are confirmed for engagement events. To keep up to date, register your details via the Your Say Parkes website www.yoursay.parkes.nsw.gov.au and sign up to Council's monthly e-Newsletter at www.parkes.nsw.gov.au