Applications for Parkes Shire Council's 2023 Cadetship, Apprenticeship and Traineeship (CAT) program are now open for people looking to gain on-the-job experience and practical knowledge whilst working towards a nationally accredited qualification.
Opportunities are available across various sections of the organisation including engineering, information technology, finance, town planning, building surveying, tourism, horticulture, ranger services, human resources, business administration and water operations.
Mayor of Parkes Shire Cr Ken Keith OAM said, "We are proud to be bringing this program back for yet another year and looking forward to mentoring a new batch of young professionals.
"The response to this program over the years has been fantastic. We have more than doubled the number of traineeships offered over the last four years and continue to expand our teams," Mayor Keith added.
Council's Director Operations, Ben Howard, encourages anyone considering applying to take the leap. "I started my career as an Engineering Cadet and have had the opportunity to work in a number of exciting roles at different Councils including a role overseas in Scotland. My cadetship laid the foundations for my career and has allowed me to get to where I am today, delivering progress and value to our community here in Parkes.
"The cadetship program provides an opportunity to expose an engineering professional to the broader aspects of the profession, which then shapes your knowledge in an all-round capacity," Mr Howard added.
Council-employed Cadets, Apprentices and Trainees enjoy a number of benefits including 100% of training and study costs being covered, dedicated support and mentoring, a fortnightly rostered day off, social club access, leave entitlements, and much more.
In 2023 we will be offering cadetships, apprenticeships and traineeships in the following nationally accredited qualifications:
- Cadet Engineer - Bachelor Engineering
- Cadet Town Planner - Bachelor Urban Regional Planning
- Apprentice Mechanic - Certificate III in Heavy Vehicle Diesel Mechanic
- Arboriculture Trainee - Certificate III in Arboriculture or Horticulture
- Business Administration Trainee - Certificate IV in Business Administration
- Health and Building Surveyor Trainee - Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying
- Horticulture Trainee - Certificate III in Horticulture
- Human Resources Trainee - Certificate IV in Human Resources
- Trainee Ranger - Certificate IV in Local Government (Regulatory Services)
- Water Services Trainee - Certificate III in Water Operations
- Civil Construction School Based Apprentice/Trainee (SBAT)* - Certificate II in Civil Construction
* Please note - the Civil Construction SBAT will be a student in Year 11 at the start of 2023 undertaking a Work Studies unit whilst at school.
If you are keen to start a career with Parkes Shire Council, please visit our careers page for more information and to apply.
The roles available are for a 2023 start. Applications are now open and close 11:00pm Sunday 11 September 2022.