NSW Plumbing Reforms

Apply to Parkes Shire Council for approvals on plumbing and draining projects.

From 1 January 2013 Fair Trading became the state's single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work.

NSW Fair Trading has delegated inspection and enforcement powers to regional councils currently conducting plumbing and drainage inspections.

As part of the plumbing regulatory framework, Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person who holds a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate. In addition, a system of on-site regulation ensures that NSW plumbing and drainage work is monitored, so it complies with technical standards and regulations.

As part of the reforms, plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Notice of Work is to be issued to the regulator no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.
  • Certificate of Compliance is to be issued to the regulator and to the person for whom the work was carried out, on completion of the final inspection.
  • Drainage Diagram is to be issued to the regulator and the owner of the land or the owner’s agent.

Codes and Standards

The Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) is the new technical standard for all plumbing and drainage work in NSW. All plumbing and drainage work in NSW must comply with the Plumbing Code of Australia.

The PCA sets out performance requirements for the design, construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration and maintenance of plumbing and drainage installations.

Plumbers and drainers can get copies of the PCA from the Australian Building Codes Board.

Section 68 Approval

Prior to commencement of any works, Plumbing and drainage projects require Council approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act, to ensure it complies with relevant standards. See the plumbing approvals and inspection page for details.

For detail on fees and charges related to plumbing and drainage approvals, visit the Fees and Charges page.

For any further information please contact Council Planning Department on 02 68612373.