NAIDOC celebrations are held around Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and acheivements. This years theme is 'because of her we can' celebrating the essential role that women have played - and continue to play - as active and significant role models at the community, local, state and national levels.
Showcasing some of Parkes Shire's finest talented and local Aboriginal Artists, the Galari 'Mawam-Bul' Art Exhibition is open daily between 11.00am and 4.00pm in the Coventry Room at Parkes Shire Council.
The community is invited to attend a range of free workshops and activities during the week including:
- Monday 9th July: 2pm-3pm Aboriginal Astronomy workshop with Trever Leaman
- Tuesday 10th July: 2pm-3pm Basket Weaving demonstration provided by Arts out West
- Wednesday 11th July: Free Art Class with one of the central west’s most inspiring and talented artist Irene Ridgeway
- Thursday 12th July: Aboriginal Story Teller Larry Brandy 11.00am-12.30pm
- Thursday 12th July: Screening of Servant or Slave an emotional film and confronting insight into the history of legacy of the domestic servitude enforced upon Aboriginal girls in Australia.
An official black tie opening event will also be held Thursday 12 July from 6.30pm - 9pm (invitation only)
This event is bought to you by Neighbourhood Central, Parkes Shire Council, Arts out West and Aboriginal Affairs NSW.