Culture is central to community
Council grants encouraging diverse cultural activities.
Parkes Shire Council recognises that a robust cultural life is important to the health and wellbeing of any community, including the role it plays in attracting and retaining residents.
Parkes Shire Council's Cultural Grants Program was developed to stimulate and encourage creative and innovative cultural activity, assist in the development of skills and abilities, enhance cultural facilities and boost community awareness of the importance of culture.
Annually organisations may apply for a grant of at least $2,000, with the total funding pool at $10,000.
Conditions of funding include:
- Organisations applying for funds should be based within the boundaries of the Shire of Parkes and/or principally serve Parkes Shire residents.
- Applying organisations must be incorporated local non-for-profit community groups or arts organisations, or artists working with an incorporated non-for-profit group.
- Applications must address local community needs.
- Applications must be made on the Cultural Grants Program Application form.
- Grant requests are to be a minimum of $2,000
Funding categories include seeding subsidy for a new project, extension or enhancement of an existing project, purchase of equipment or minor capital works.
Previous recipients of a Shire cultural grant include Peak Hill Leisure Art and Craft Council Inc (art tutoring), Parkes Action Club (St Elmo Shearing Shed art exhibition), Trundle Film Society (Being on High Ground video production) and Parkes/Forbes Branch cake Decorators Guild of NSW Inc (cake decorating and sugar art seminar).
Applications for 2019 will open in April/May 2019.
For more information contact Council's Manager Cultural, Education & Library Services 6861 2338.
The 2018 Grant Program recipients were:
- $2,000 Peak Hill Show Society – Show Masterclasses
- $3,000 Parkes School of Dance – RAD Exam Workshops
- $2,500 Parkes Public School Parents & Citizens Ass. – 150 Year Celebration Time Capsule
- $2,500 Tullamore War Memorial Hall – Lights! Drama! Action!