Sporting grants for the region
Recognising the importance of sport in sustaining a healthy and happy community.
Parkes Shire has a strong sporting culture and Council coordinates a number of grant programs to promote and grow participation and development within the community.
Parkes Shire Council has joined forces with Northparkes Mine to provide financial assistance grants to sporting groups in the Parkes Shire. In a landmark three-year agreement, Northparkes and Parkes Shire Council will provide a total of $170,000 to be distributed for sporting related projects.
Parkes Sports Council administers the grants with the aim to increase regular and ongoing participation opportunities in sport and to improve the sporting infrastructure within the Parkes Shire. The Sports Council is responsible for the care, control and maintenance of sporting fields in Parkes Shire. It also strives to foster active participation of the people of Parkes Shire in all forms of athletic sports.
Northparkes believes that to maintain a strong social license to operate they must have a positive influence on the long-term development of the communities that their operations may impact. Northparkes has sponsorship and donation programs focused on community-based initiatives aimed at building community capacity.
Funding is split between two distinct project types:
- Participation Projects - that deliver a sport or physical activity participation experience to an identified group of people; and
- Facility Development Projects - building new or upgrading sport and recreation facilities to support increased participation.
Each year $60,000 in grant funds are offered in two rounds of $30,000 each as follows:
- Round 1 Closing Midnight 30 March
- Round 2 Closing Midnight 30 September
First, read the guidelines regarding the Sports Grants, which can be downloaded below and are also available on the Council's Policies page.
Then, complete the online application form.
Note: If this link does not work, try copying and pasting it into your browser address bar.
For more information about the Northparkes Mine Sports Grants, contact Council's Grants Officer on 02 6861 2398.
Parkes Shire Council is honoured to combine with the Parkes Sports Council, Rotary and the Parkes Leagues Club in co-ordinating the Ron Harrison Memorial Sports Bursaries.
The purpose of the bursary is to:
- Perpetuate the memory of the late Ron Harrison OAM, who passed away in 1985, for his contribution to the community of Parkes and district, particularly in the development of sport.
- Provide financial assistance to sportspersons of the Parkes Shire, particularly those at junior level, who demonstrate the need for such assistance to develop their career.
The winners are announced in December, with a presentation to be made at the Australia Day awards in January.
For more information about the Ron Harrison Sports Bursary, contact Council's Grants Officer on 02 6861 2398.
Council's Grants Programs
Community Financial Assistance, Leasing & Licencing Grants Supporting local events and initiatives Council values cultural, community and sporting initiatives and events and acknowledges the contributions […]View Page