Private swimming pools

There are several regulations and policies that pool owners must consider and complete to ensure the safe, compliant installation and maintenance of a swimming pool. Owners of swimming pools in the Parkes Shire are required to adhere to the Swimming Pools Act 1992. 

For further information on the installation and maintenance of private pools in our area, please contact the Council's Planning and Environment Department at 02 6861 2373 or follow the link to the Service NSW website.

Swimming Pool Developments

Swimming pools may be constructed as complying development if the proposal meets the relevant development standards set out in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) and 2008 (the State Policy).

To ensure the installation meets the complying development standards, contact Council's Planning and Environment Department at 02 6861 2373.

Private Pool Registration

In line with the Public Health Act 2010 and Public Health Regulation 2012, all backyard pools and spas in NSW must be registered on the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

To register, all you need to know is the address, the size of the property, the type of pool you own (e.g. in ground, spa pool), whether any work has been done to your pool barrier and how old your pool is.

If you cannot lodge your registration online, contact the Office of Local Government Hotline on 1300 922 310 or by emailing, and Council can register on your behalf (fees may apply).  

Private Pool Certification 

Parkes Shire Council is required to implement a program of swimming pool inspections. Following the site inspection, either a certificate of compliance or non-compliance will be issued depending on whether the pool barriers comply with the relevant pool safety requirements. 

A pool certificate is valid for three years. However, your pool may be inspected more frequently if Council receives a complaint or there is reason to suspect the pool no longer complies with pool safety requirements. 

For more information, refer to the Swimming Pools Inspection Program(PDF, 80KB).


Any swimming pool that has a depth of 300mm or more, irrespective of swimming pool wall height, must have a swimming pool fence.

As a pool owner, you are responsible for ensuring your pool is enclosed and access to it is restricted to children at all times. 

You can view a pool barrier checklist here.

Pool owners may also request an inspection of their Swimming Pool Barrier by Council Officers by submitting a Swimming Pool Barrier Inspection Application via the MyParkes portal.

Selling or Leasing properties with swimming pools

Properties sold with a pool must have either:

  • A certificate of compliance; or
  • A relevant occupation certificate and a certificate of registration; or
  • A certificate of non-compliance.

When you buy a property with a non-compliant pool, you will have 90 days from settlement to fix any areas of non-compliance.

Properties leased with a pool must have either:

  • A certificate of compliance; or
  • A relevant occupation certificate and a certificate of registration.

When a residential tenancy agreement is entered into for a property with a swimming pool or spa, the landlord or real estate agent must provide the tenant with a copy of the certificate of compliance or occupation certificate.

A certificate of non-compliance can only be used for a rental property in a strata scheme or a community scheme with more than two lots.