1. Overview

Prior to the commencement of any developments, it is important that you have completed the appropriate certification applications. 

2. Construction Certificates

Before commencing any building or construction work, the person benefiting from the development consent must apply for a Construction Certificate from Council or an accredited certifier. 

A Construction Certificate is an approval for building work that certifies that the proposed work will comply with the following:

·        the Building Code of Australia (BCA)

·        the relevant standards and matters specified in a development consent and relevant legislation. 

An application for a Construction Certificate can be lodged at the same time as your DA or any time after the lodgment of the DA.

Construction Certificates must be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal. For further information on the required documents to upload with your application, download the relevant checklist:

Construction Certificate MATRIX Checklist - Residential

Construction Certificate MATRIX Checklist - Commercial

Construction Certificate Fees are available for review in the 2022/23 Operational Plan - Fees and Charges. Alternatively, contact the Planning and Environment Department on 02 6861 2373 for a free quote.

For further information on the statutory requirements for a Construction Certificate, download Part 8 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

3. Nominating a Principal Certifier

A Principal Certifier must be nominated before the commencement of works if your building works are subject to a Construction Certificate or a Complying Development Certificate.

The role of a Principal Certifier is to undertake critical stage inspections of the building work following Section 162A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

To appoint Council as the Principal Certifier for your building work, you must apply for a Principal Certifier appointment via the NSW Planning Portal.

A Contract for Carrying out Certification work will need to uploaded to the NSW Portal as part of your Construction Certificate application.

Contract for Carrying out Certification Work

4. Home Owner Warranty and Owner Builder Permit Requirements

The Home Building Act 1989 sets requirements for licencing relating to residential building work. This includes dwellings, and associated buildings and swimming pools. This legislation is administered by the NSW Department of Fair Trading

Detailed information on Home Warranty Insurance requirements can be accessed at the NSW Fair Trading website.

Detailed information on Owner Builder Permit requirements can be accessed at the NSW Fair Trading website.

Where Council is appointed as the building certifier Clause 98 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 requires Council must be satisfied that the requirement to have an Owner Builder Permit or Home Warranty Insurance are met before the commencement of work.

5. Notice of Commencement

Applicants must notify Council that work is going to commence and who is the Principal Certifier at least two days before work starts.

To notify Council, complete the Notice of Commencement Form and return it to Parkes Shire Council, Planning and Development Department.

Notice of Commencement of Building or Subdivision Work

6. Critical Stage Inspections

To ensure construction works are undertaken under the Building Code of Australia and relevant standards, your development may require inspections during critical stages of the construction phase. The Principal Certifier must carry out all critical stage inspections to ensure the Occupation Certificate is issued.

Depending on the type of approval granted for your development, your critical stage inspections will be listed in your:

  • principal certifier agreement
  • letter advising of approval of construction certificate and complying development certificate.

Clause 162A  of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation sets out the appropriate critical stage inspections determined by the classification of the building. 

Additional inspections

Some developments require additional inspections to ensure developments undertaken within the Shire are carried out to an acceptable standard. These additional inspections may be necessary due to the extent and type of work undertaken.

Additional inspections/re-inspections are required due to non-compliant works or staged inspections where necessary. 

Each additional inspection undertaken throughout the construction phase will incur the appropriate inspection fee outlined in Council’s Fees and Charges.

Booking critical stage inspections

If you would like to arrange an inspection, please call Council's Planning and Environment Department on 02 6861 2373.

To book a critical stage inspection, please have the following information ready:

  • type of inspection (refer to Consent or Principal Certifier Agreement for the inspections required)
  • address of where the inspection will take place
  • contact name and telephone number of the relevant person
  • application reference number
  • construction certificate number
  • development application number
  • complying development certificate number

To ensure that staff are available to carry out critical stage inspections, please give 48 hours' notice for the inspection.

7. Building Sustainability Index (BASIX)

The Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) requirements apply to all residential dwelling types and must be submitted with your development application. 

BASIX ensures that energy and water-saving measures are sufficient for the specified development. This assessment is conducted using the online BASIX Tool, which estimates the water and energy consumption and the thermal comfort based on the information you provide, including the site location, dwelling size, floor area, landscaped area and services.

The BASIX commitments shown on the Certificate must be clearly marked on the design plans.

For more information, visit the BASIX website or call the BASIX Help Line on 1300 305 695.

8. Occupation Certificate

An Occupation Certificate (OC) authorises the occupation and use of a new building or part of a building. Depending on the particular OC sought, the certificate verifies that the Principal Certifier is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in terms of the requirements of the Building Code of Australia.

There are five kinds of Occupation Certificates:

  • Interim Occupation Certificate
  • Final Occupation Certificate
  • Occupation Certificate (Whole)
  • Occupation Certificate (Part)
  • Occupation Certificate (Partial)

An Occupation Certificate is a lawful requirement in the conveyancing process when a property is sold, and it is essential to obtain a Final/Whole Occupation Certificate.

Visit the NSW Planning Portal website to apply for an Occupation Certificate.

9. Subdivision Certificates

Subdivision Certificate

A Subdivision Certificate certifies that a plan of subdivision has been completed in accordance with Section 6.4(d) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. The certificate certifies that the subdivision has been completed in accordance with the consent and any subdivision work has been completed in accordance with the Construction Certificate.

Subdivision Construction Certificate

A Subdivision Construction Certificate required when civil construction works are needed for the division of land to take place. These works include rights-of-carriageway, roads, footpaths, water, sewerage asset construction.