Buying or Selling a Property

1. Overview

Several certificates are required and recommended for a smooth transfer of ownership when purchasing or selling your home.

2. Outstanding Notices Certificates

An Outstanding Notice Certificate outlines whether Council has issued any outstanding notices and orders concerning land within the Local Government Area.

An outstanding notice or order can be for several reasons, including an overgrown block, failure to pay rates or illegal building works. 

  • Section 735A Certificate – Section 735A of the Local Government Act 1993

To apply for an Outstanding Notices Certificate, complete an application form via the MyParkes portal.

3. Planning Certificates

Parkes Shire Council can issue a Planning Certificate, providing information about planning controls and property issues relating to a property within the Local Government Area at the time of issue.

There are two types of Section 10.7 Planning Certificates issued under the Conveyancing Act 1919:

  • A 10.7(2) Certificate provides information about the property's zoning, the relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other property issues such as land contamination and road widening.
  • A 10.7(2) and (5) Certificate provides both the information available in a Section 10.7(2) certificate and additional information, such as advice from other authorities, development approvals and refusals and easements that may apply to the land.

To apply, complete a Planning Certificate Application via the MyParkes portal.

4. Building Information Certificates

Building certificates are issued under Section 6.24 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

The Certificate indicates if the required approvals were obtained during the construction of the building. It also indicates whether any part of a building requires demolition.

Building Information Certificates must be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal. For further information on the required documents to upload with your application, download the relevant checklist.

Building Information Certificate Checklist(PDF, 103KB)

5. Drainage Diagrams

A Drainage Diagram shows the location of the house's internal and external service lines and the location of the Council's sewer mains. If Council does not have a drainage diagram showing these details, a diagram will be issued showing the location of Council's sewer main and the junction to the property.

For properties not connected to Council's sewer infrastructure, a drainage diagram will be issued indicating whether or not an on-site sewage management system services it.

To apply, complete a Drainage Diagram Application Form via the MyParkes portal.

6. Swimming Pool Certificates

Properties sold with a swimming pool must have either:

  • A certificate of compliance; or
  • A relevant occupation certificate and a certificate of registration; or
  • A certificate of non-compliance.

A Certificate of Compliance will be issued following an inspection. To arrange an inspection, complete a Swimming Pool Barrier Inspection Application via the MyParkes portal.

7. Section 603 (rates) Certificate

A Section 603 (rates) Certificate provides information to buyers and legal representatives to determine rating information at the time of settlement of a property sale. Section 603 Certificates are only valid for the issue date and the individual property number. 

To apply, complete the Section 603 Application, which is available via the MyParkes portal.

8. Water Meter Reading Certificate

Council provides a Water Meter Reading Certificate to buyers and legal representatives to determine water billing information at the time of settlement of a property sale. Council will read the meter and present an estimate of the water charges due at that time.

To apply, complete the Water Meter Reading Certificate application via the MyParkes portal.