Parkes Shire Council raises approximately one quarter of its operating income from rates. Council provides many services that rates help to fund. Some examples are:

  • Maintenance of roads, parks, gardens and sporting facilities
  • Libraries
  • Community services for senior citizens and youth
  • Town planning
  • Drainage
  • Animal services
  • Tourism
  • Swimming pools

Rates are the way our community contributes to funding these services and the many others.

Register for e-Notices

Property owners can elect to receive their Rate & Water notices via email. Not only does this reduce waste and the impact on the environment, you can easily access your notices direct from your email inbox the day they are posted and also online at any time.

To register for emailed notices, you will need a copy of your current Rates or Water notice, stating your individual reference number and follow the links on the eNotices website to sign up - parkes.enotices.com.au.

Or contact our team via phone or email to make these arrangements. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I pay rates?

Council provides many services which rates help to fund. Some examples are:

  • maintenance of roads and parks and gardens
  • libraries
  • community services for senior citizens and youth
  • town planning
  • drainage
  • animal services
  • tourism
  • swimming pools

Rates are the way our community contributes to funding these services. For further information regarding rating please refer to the Office of Local Government's website. 

How do I change my address?

If you move or change your mailing address, please notify Council as soon as possible so that we can update our records. Requests for change of address details must be received from the registered owner of a rateable property. These requests must be in writing, either by
letter, email, fax or through Council's website Application for Change of Address Form

If you have recently sold or purchased a property your solicitor or conveyancer will lodge a notice of sale with the Department of Lands. Upon registration, the Department of Lands will notify Council of the change of ownership. Until this notice is received Council cannot change the ownership details of your property.

Where can I find out more information about my land valuation?

In New South Wales, the Valuer General is the State Government's principal advisor on all land valuation matters.

For any information regarding your land valuation, visit the Valuer Gerneral's website  or call 1800 110 038.

For more information please read the Valuer General's Newsletters.

Am I eligible for a pension concession?

If you are the property owner, reside at the rateable property and are the holder of a Pensioner Concession card, generally you will be entitled to a rebate on your rates in accordance with Section 575 of the Local Government Act.

If you are eligible for a Pension Rebate you can receive up to a maximum reduction in rates per annum of $425.00 ($250.00 general and waste, $87.50 water and $87.50 sewer).

Owners who become eligible pensioners during the year are entitled to a pro-rata rebate for their rates, calculated on a quarterly basis. Rebates are also reversed on a quarterly basis when owners become ineligible for the rebate.

You will need to complete a Pensioner Application Form and return it in person to Council's Rates Team along with your relevant concession card.

Are there penalties for late payments of rates?

Interest will be charged when a rate instalment has not been paid by the due date in accordance with Section 566(3) of the Local Government Act.

If you are having difficulty paying your rates by the due date, please contact Council as soon as possible.

What should I do if I am having difficulty paying my rates?

You should contact Council on 6861 2333 as soon as possible, preferably before the account becomes overdue. A suitable payment arrangement in accordance with Council's Rates and Charges Recovery Policy can be made.

When are my rates due?

If you wish to pay your rates in full they need to be paid by 31st August.

If you wish to pay by instalments they are due as follows:

  • 1st instalment 31st August
  • 2nd instalment 30 November
  • 3rd instalment 28th February
  • 4th instalment 31st May

If one of these dates fall on a weekend, the due date is the Monday after.

Rates can be paid at any time before the due date.

Any payments not received by the due dates indicated will be liable for interest charges and possible recovery actions if not paid. (Note: Reminder notices will be issued.)